Tuesday 26 February 2013

Give Sincere Encouragement

I am a firm believer that when you give people sincere encouragement it can help them blossom into a confident person.

I live in an apartment building. There is a family with several young children who live in the same building. I can’t remember when I last heard such loud children! Whether they are on their way to school or coming home from school, running up or down the stairs, they are constantly shouting to each other. Everything seems like a crisis or a miracle. Whatever happens, they get very excited and shout about it. They do the same when they are out in the garden playing, which is below my windows. I don’t exactly get irritated by the sound but I marvel at how loud and excitable they can constantly be!

Occasionally I enjoy watching them play for a few moments. I had to chuckle when I saw them knock down the sign that was in the middle of the grass. It read: "NO BALL PLAYING". They conscientiously stood the sign up and put it back it it's place. Then they continued with their ball game.

One sunny afternoon I was startled by very loud banging on my front door. It sounded like an emergency and I was wondering why they weren’t using the bell. Upon opening the door I saw the boy from upstairs. “You left your mailbox open!” He shouted. Inside the front entrance to the building we have mailboxes on the wall for each apartment which is kept locked with a key. Apparently I didn’t close mine correctly after I checked it so the mailbox door was left open. I thought that was a very considerate thing to tell me and I felt like rewarding him in some way. I didn’t think a monetary reward was appropriate so instead I emphatically said to him: “Thank you VERY much! You are a VERY GOOD boy!”

He beamed at me and ran downstairs. I suppose he was still trying to help as he repeatedly started slamming the door to my box closed before I could get down there to lock it. I had to shout down to him to leave it alone before he breaks it.

MY reward came the next day when he was out in the garden playing with his friend. I wasn’t listening to what they were shouting to each other, but one thing I heard loud and clear. The boy who had come to my door the previous day told his friend: ” I am a VERY GOOD boy!”

I really don’t think he hears that phrase too often but he actually is a sweet kid–just a little wild and loud.

When we are sure to praise people for the good they do, no matter how small, instead of only pointing out the mistakes, it helps them to try harder to keep doing good. This works just as well with adults as it does children!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blast from the Past: Thailand

Making a Difference in Romania